Croesyceiliog is a comprehensive school with over 1,500 pupils, between the ages of 11 to 19, on roll. Under Welsh Assembly Government regulations, the school is defined as a 'Predominantly English Medium Secondary School'.
The school was created through the merger, in 1971, of the Grammar School (opened 1959) and the Secondary School (opened 1957).
The school's four buildings are set in sixty acres of woodland and playing fields alongside the Afon Llwyd.
The woods and river give our pupils excellent scope for fieldwork and ecological studies. A conservation area, which includes a wildflower meadow, was created with the help of our Duke of Edinburgh (Gold) Award entrants.
The school facilities include a Sixth Form Building, an Art and Technology Building, a Music Suite, two Drama Studios, three Gymnasia, a state of the art Fitness Suite and extensive sporting fields.
Every year, a very high percentage of pupils from Year 11 remain in Education, many of them choosing from a wide variety of courses in our Sixth Form.
Our teaching staff of over 90 is supported by a School 'Nurse', a Librarian, Teaching Assistants, Secretaries, Technicians and Caretakers.
The School and its Community
Croesyceiliog is a very popular school. The majority of pupils enter the school in Year 7, from Croesyceiliog, Llanyrafon, Maendy and Pontnewydd Junior Schools.
Every year, however, a significant number of parents from outside the school's immediate area choose to send their children to us.