Attendance / Presenoldeb
Attendance and School Gateway
We are now using School Gateway to connect with parents more efficiently. Please contact the school via the School Gateway App to report daily pupil absence.
If your child is absent from school, for any reason, please contact the school directly through the School Gateway app alernatively call 01633 645900 listen to the automated service and leave a message for our First Day Response Officer, Mrs Evans.
At Croesyceiliog School attendance is your gateway to success. Therefore we encourage all students to aim for 100% attendance.
FAQs on attendance:
1. Why is attendance important?
Attending school is a legal requirement. Excellent attendance has clear links to improved wellbeing as well as attainment/achievement. You can see our #notinmissout videos on this webpage and our Twitter page to find out what children will miss out on if they are not in school.
2. How do you celebrate attendance?
We have an array of awards for students. They receive certificates and opportunities to receive prizes throughout the year. We also have ‘Attendance Streak’ rewards which rewards students for 100% each half-term. They receive prizes for 2 weeks, 4 week and a whole half-term with 100% attendance. Prizes includes ClassChart points, an early lunch pass, free breakfasts and a cinema treat to name a few.
3. What is excellent attendance?
Ideally 100% attendance, but we understand that this is very difficult to achieve but we can all aspire to it. Please find the image below to show you what a percentage of attendance equates to in terms of days missed and hours of missed learning.
4. How do I report an absence from school?
We encourage all parents/carers to report an absence via the School Gateway App immediately. If you do not have access to the app then call 01633 645900 and leave a message for our Attendance Officer Mrs. Evans.
5. What should I do if my child misses more than one day of school?
You must report every day absent via that School Gateway App or contact Mrs. Evans as mentioned above.
6. What happens if I do not inform the school about an absence?
The school will endeavour to contact you. If your child is absent for 3 days without an adequate explanation the Education Welfare Officer (EWO) will phone or visit your home address.
7. What are FPNs?
FPNs are ‘Fixed Penalty Notices’. These can be issued if:
- Your child is late for 10 sessions
- Ten unauthorised absences (two can be accumulated each day)
- For an unauthorised holiday
- If a parent / carer does not attempt to engage with the school / Local Authority regarding their child’s absence
You will receive a written warning outlining the reasons for a potential FPN. FPNs for an unauthorised holiday does not require a written warning.
8. Can my child go on holiday during term time?
Parents / carers need to be mindful that any absence can have an impact on their child’s potential achievement. It is at the discretion of the school whether a holiday can be granted. A Holiday Notification Form must be submitted no less than 4 weeks before the start date of the holiday. These holidays are not usually authorised. Holidays might be granted in exceptional circumstances such as:
- Parent working abroad for a fixed, medium term period
- Family are returning to a country of origin
- Parent returning from active tour of duty
Your child is expected to arrive at school ON TIME.
Your child's punctuality is constantly monitored by the pastoral team.